Sir Hugh Montagu Allan

1. Allan, Sir Hugh Andrew Montagu, banker, ship owner, sportsman, second son of Sir Hugh ALLAN . To avoid confusion with his cousin Hugh Andrew Allan (1857-1938), he changed his name to Hugh Montagu in 1878.
Montrose Résidence de style grégorienHis business career began when at age 21 he entered the firm of Hugh and Andrew Allan, shipbrokers and builders. He was chairman of the ALLAN LINE of steamships, 1909-12, but his principal interest was in banking. He served as the last president of the Merchants' Bank of Canada, 1902-22.
In 1921 it had 400 branches and assets of $190 million, but its loans were overextended and, to avoid its collapse, Allan arranged for its amalgamation into the Bank of Montreal. He was also president or director of numerous financial and manufacturing companies.
Allan was an enthusiastic sportsman and president of the Montreal Jockey Club for many years, his horses winning the QUEEN'S PLATE , the Montreal Hunt Cup and other trophies.
He donated the ALLAN CUP , for competition in amateur hockey, in 1910. He was honorary lieutenant-colonel of the Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada, and was knighted in 1904.
Promenade at Cacouna,
approx 1900
Promenade at Cacouna,
about 1900
Mrs. H. Montagu Allan's childrens
Mrs. H. Montagu Allan's childrens, 1901
Mrs. H. Montagu Allan's sitting room
Mrs. H. Montagu Allan's sitting room, 1901
Mrs. H. Montagu Allan's house, Cacouna, 1901
Mrs. H. Montagu Allan's house, 1901
Of his 4 children, his son was killed in WWI and 2 daughters drowned in the Ship Lusitania sinking in 1915. The surviving daughter, Marguerite Martha Allan (1895-1942), founded the Montreal Repertory Theatre, an influential amateur dramatic group, between the wars.
Author D.M.L. FARR

NOTE: After more than 15 years on the web, this web site will close down on September 1, 2015.

This neogeorgian style residence was built in 1900 for Sir Montague Allen (heritor of the Allan Line fleet numbering 32 ocean liners in 1890)
The Allens enjoyed themselves here until 1914 and on occasion until 1938.
  In 1941, the Capucins Order of Franciscans bought the castle for $ 10 000.

1. Source: The Canadian Encyclopedia

Source photo: Musée McCord